Anonymous on September 28, 2011

Why does my partner get a burning feeling when I ejaculate inside her?

My girlfriend gets a burning feeling when I ejaculate inside her. When I don’t ejaculate, it doesn’t burn. Is this normal? Also, sometimes after intercourse I get hot-spots on and around my penis. Is this common? I’ve been tested for STDs and she’s been tested for yeast infection, but everything came back negative.

answered by Ruthann M. Cunningham, MD on September 28, 2011

Thanks for writing to us. I’m happy to provide you my best thoughts for your consideration, but I encourage you and your girlfriend to see a doctor for a definite diagnosis and treatment, if necessary.

First, a burning feeling during sex isn’t normal. Pain or burning during vaginal intercourse might indicate that there’s something ⎼ like an infection ⎼ irritating your girlfriend’s vagina. Some possible infections include a yeast infection, bacterial vaginosis (BV), trichomoniasis, a urinary tract infection (UTI), or an STD like chlamydia or gonorrhea.

A doctor can determine whether your girlfriend has a UTI, chlamydia or gonorrhea by taking and testing a urine sample from her. The other three infections I mentioned – BV, trichomoniasis or a yeast infection – require a physical exam and possibly a culture test.

As for your symptoms after intercourse... 

You mentioned that you’ve been tested for STDs...but do you know what STDs you were tested for? Be aware that most doctors don’t automatically test for STDs unless you specifically ask to be tested…and just because you’ve been tested for some STDs doesn’t mean that you were tested for a full array of common STDs, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, herpes 1, herpes 2, hepatitis B, hepatitis C, HIV and syphilis. 

If you haven’t been tested for all of these STDs, you may want to get tested again to find out whether it’s an STD that’s causing your discomfort. You can work with your doctor to get tested, or you can find testing options online. But I do encourage you to speak with your doctor about your symptoms so you can be sure of the cause, and of the correct treatment. 

One more thing about STD prevention...from your question, I assume you’re having unprotected sex. Keep in mind that using a condom for vaginal and anal sex, and a condom or dental dam for oral sex can help reduce the risk of transmitting STDs and other infections between you and your girlfriend.

Thanks again for sharing your concerns, and I hope that you and your girlfriend resolve your symptoms with your doctors soon.

Related info:

Ruthann M. Cunningham, MD

Dr. Cunningham is a member of the Analyte Physicans Group. She's also a member of the American College of Emergency Physicians, practicing at both Northwestern Lake Forest Hospital in Illinois and at Wheaton Franciscan All Saints Medical Center in Wisconsin. An ER physician since 2000, she regularly treats patients with STDs. Dr. Cunningham was educated at Wayne State University School of Medicine and completed her Emergency Medicine residency at Cook County Hospital in Chicago, IL.

Related Q&A's

Is it possible to get STDs in a monogamous relationship?
Could I have an STD even though my Pap smear was normal?
How long after unprotected sex should I wait before getting an HIV test?