Anonymous on October 24, 2011

Where can I get HIV test?

Where can I go for HIV test? I don't want to go a doctor. I want it to be close by. What can I do?

answered by Lisa Oldson, MD on October 24, 2011

Luckily, there are several options for HIV testing. 

First, depending on where you live, HIV testing is offered at many hospitals and local health addition to most doctor’s offices. Home HIV testing kits are also available, but I would encourage you to consider HIV testing options that offer a consultation with a doctor if you test positive for HIV.

Confidential HIV testing through an online STD testing service is another way to go. Some people prefer the convenience and anonymity of online HIV and STD testing. If you decide to choose our testing service, and if it turns out that you’re positive for HIV, you’ll have the opportunity to talk to a real doctor on the phone right away...we’ll be here to guide you through your next steps. 

Likewise, online testing services like ours are also staffed with trained and certified Care Advisors who are prepared to answer any questions you may have about how online HIV and STD testing works ⎼ from how to order an HIV test, to visiting a test center, to reviewing your test results.  

I hope this information is helpful to you, and that you continue to be proactive about taking care of your sexual health. 

Related info:  

Lisa Oldson, MD

Dr. Oldson is Medical Director of the Analyte Physicians Group. She is on staff at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, as well as Clinical Instructor at the Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University. Her areas of expertise include STDs (with a particular clinical emphasis on herpes), women's health, preventive medicine, diabetes, obesity and weight management, and mood and anxiety disorders. Dr. Oldson was educated at Rush Medical College and completed her residency at Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center in Chicago, IL.

Related Q&A's

Do you know where to get HIV testing?
I’m looking to get screened. Where can I test for HIV?
Where can I get HIV tested?