anonymous on September 12, 2011

Now that I’m 64, I only ejaculate about half the time when I have sex. What’s going on?

I’m a 64-year-old male in very good physical condition, but I don’t seem to ejaculate consistently. I have sex about 3-4 times per week. I’ll have sex and be able to ejaculate one week and then nothing the next week. I can’t figure it out. What’s going on?

answered by David Sobel, MD, JD on September 12, 2011

I’m glad that you asked this question, and that you’re paying attending to your body and how it’s changing as you get older.

First, without a physical exam, I can’t tell you exactly what’s causing the inconsistency in your ability to ejaculate. So I would encourage you to see your regular doctor or urologist to discuss your particular circumstances.

That said, here are a few thoughts for your consideration…

It’s possible that your inconsistent ejaculations are, for you, just a normal symptom of aging…but they could also indicate that your prostate gland isn’t working correctly. Again, your doctor will be able to tell you whether your prostate is possibly inflamed or enlarged, or whether there’s some other medical issue that needs to be addressed.

As men age, they may also experience other changes in sexual response…from decreased desire to difficulty achieving erections or, as you mention, trouble ejaculating.

But if you’re currently able to have sex 3-4 times per week without any other issues, you can count yourself among the lucky. According to research, about 50% of men your age with a regular partner report some degree of ED.

Thanks again for sharing your concern, and I hope that – with your doctor’s help – you’ll not only address your issue of inconsistent ejaculation, but also continue to enjoy your sexuality as you age.

Related info:

David Sobel, MD, JD

Dr. Sobel is a Colorado-based urologist and Director of the Denver Center for Men’s Health. His areas of expertise include men's sexual health and all areas of urology, including urologic oncology, treatment of benign prostatic hypertrophy, stone disease and incontinence. Dr. Sobel was educated at the University of Michigan Law School and the University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine, and completed his residency at the Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, IL.

Related Q&A's

What happens to male sexuality with age?
What can we do to avoid painful sex for my wife as we get older?
I’m a 70-year-old with a high libido and a body that doesn’t cooperate. What can I do?