anonymous on September 9, 2011

K-Y Liquid makes me and my husband feel a burning sensation. Do we need to use a different lubricant?

My husband and I were both virgins when we married last week. We’ve been enjoying great sex, but decided that - for the extended efforts of newlyweds - we needed extra lubrication. We chose K-Y Liquid. It worked well until last night. As soon as my husband inserted his penis, it was like we both were on fire. We ran for the shower. Once rinsed we felt better, but we are hesitant to try again. Please help!

answered by Annette Fuglsang Owens, MD, PhD on September 9, 2011

Congratulations on your marriage! And thanks for sharing your concern with us. I’ll do my best to provide you some helpful information.

First, since you and your husband are new to sex, and given that you’ve been very sexually active since getting married, it could be that you’re both experiencing a normal reaction...and that you simply need to give yourselves a little time for your bodies to adjust.   

That said, you might be allergic to the lubricant. If both of you felt a burning sensation at the same time, and your discomfort went away after rinsing off the lubricant, it’s possible that you both had a reaction to the product, and could  consider using a different, water-based lubricant. (Water-based lubes are considered by most to be the safest available lubrication for general purposes).

Remember, K-Y Liquid is described as a “warming” lubricant that contains different ingredients than the original K-Y Jelly. In selecting another lubricant, make sure it doesn’t contain the same ingredients found in KY Liquid.

One more thing to consider...

You didn’t mention if your husband wears condoms during sex...but if you’re relying on a condom for birth control, be aware that you should only use water-based lubricants with latex condoms. Even just 60 seconds of exposure to oil-based lubricants has been shown to decrease the strength of a latex condom by 90%, as documented in a study conducted by the Mariposa Foundation and published in Contraception.

I wish you good luck and good health as you and your husband discover how best to give each other sexual pleasure.

Annette Fuglsang Owens, MD, PhD

Dr. Owens is an AASECT-certified sexuality counselor. Her areas of expertise include the medical aspects of human sexuality and sexual problems, as well as the impact of STDs ⎼ and other diseases, illnesses and disabilities ⎼ on sexuality. Dr. Owens was educated at the University of Copenhagen in Denmark.

Related Q&A's

Are sexually active teens at higher risk for STDs?
Can I pass genital herpes to a partner when I don’t have an outbreak?
Do condoms still work in the shower? What about under water?