Anonymous on September 9, 2011

Is it possible to break your penis?

After extensive sexual activity with a younger woman who did all kinds of kinky things with my penis, I sustained injury to my penis and now it’s no longer straight during erection. At first it hurt, but it doesn’t hurt anymore. I still have sex and am able to climax. However, my erections are not as hard. It almost seems like it was broken or ruptured at the base. Is there anything I can do to get my old penis back?

answered by David Sobel, MD, JD on September 9, 2011

Thank you for sharing your concern. I’ll do my best to help.

Yes, it’s possible to “break” – or fracture – your penis. Whilethere isn’t an actual bone in the penis, it has a tough, fibrous sheath that fills with blood, enabling you to have an erection. Sometimes with aggressive sex or masturbation) the sheath can tear, which is likely what you’re experiencing.

This tear is under the skin, so you can’t see it…although sometimes you can hear something when the tear occurs. And if the tear is serious, there can be bleeding into the penis, causing it to become swollen, and black and blue. This is sometimes called an “eggplant penis” because it swells up and looks purplish…but not all fractures are as obvious.

If you think you have a fractured penis, see your doctor immediately. Urgent medical attention may be needed, possibly including immediate surgery.

In your case, there may have been a small tear or a micro-tear. So as the area healed, scar tissue may have built up which can cause something called Peyronie’s disease.

With Peyronie’s disease, scar tissue or a lump (sometimes called “plaque”) forms in the penis, usually causing it to bend when erect. You might be able to feel a thick area somewhere on the penis. A lump or thick area on top of the shaft usually causes it to bend up when erect. Or the thickness may be on the bottom, causing the penis to bend down.

This can cause pain when you become erect and/or during an orgasm. Peyronie’s disease can also cause trouble getting or keeping an erection.

Again, I would encourage you to see your doctor for a full examination, diagnosis and treatment, if needed.

Thanks again for your important question.

Related info:

David Sobel, MD, JD

Dr. Sobel is a Colorado-based urologist and Director of the Denver Center for Men’s Health. His areas of expertise include men's sexual health and all areas of urology, including urologic oncology, treatment of benign prostatic hypertrophy, stone disease and incontinence. Dr. Sobel was educated at the University of Michigan Law School and the University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine, and completed his residency at the Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, IL.

Related Q&A's

How do I know if I have Peyronie’s disease?
Is it normal for my penis to bend to one side?
Is masturbation bad for me?