Anonymous on September 13, 2011

I have green fluid coming out of my penis. Is it gonorrhea? Or is it another STD?

I have green fluid coming out of my penis. Is it gonorrhea? Or is it another STD? Every time I go to the bathroom it hurts. I’ve never had an STD so I don’t know what this is.

answered by Lisa Oldson, MD on September 13, 2011

Thanks for describing your symptoms...I can understand your concern.
Painful urination and penile discharge could be symptoms of an STD. To find out for sure if you have an STD, you’ll need to get tested...and I encourage you to visit your doctor for an exam, too. Meanwhile, here are a few ideas that might help you understand your symptoms better.
First, you’re right...a green discharge from the penis and painful urination could be symptoms of gonorrhea or chlamydia. Although some people infected with gonorrhea or chlamydia don’t experience any symptoms at first, people who do show symptoms will usually experience them sometime between 1 and 14 days after unprotected sex with an infected person.
Of course, different men can have different gonorrhea symptoms...while some men have a greenish discharge, others have a yellowish or whitish discharge. And some men with gonorrhea also have swollen and painful testicles. You can learn more about gonorrhea and chlamydia symptoms in our Expert Guides.
But these aren’t the only infections with symptoms of discomfort with urination. Herpes or a urinary tract infection (or UTI).
It’s hard to know what’s causing the symptoms you describe without a physical examination and some testing...that’s why I encourage you to see your regular doctor to determine whether you have gonorrhea, urethritis, or both...or something else entirely.
The good news is that gonorrhea and chlamydia can typically be cured with just one dose of antibiotics.
You might also want to consider further STD testing. Why? Because if you’ve been exposed to one STD, it’s possible that you’ve been exposed to others, too. And remember, many STDs don’t show symptoms right getting tested for common STDs is the only way to know your status, and to get treated if necessary.
One more thing...

If you find out that you do have gonorrhea or another STD, I encourage you to speak with your previous partners so they can get tested, too.
This is particularly important if any of your previous partners are women because chlamydia and gonorrhea can cause pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). PID is a silent but serious infection in the female reproductive system that, if left untreated, can cause infertility.
Thanks again for your question, and I hope that you soon identify the cause of your discomfort.
Related info:
    •    PubMed Health: Urethritis

Lisa Oldson, MD

Dr. Oldson is Medical Director of the Analyte Physicians Group. She is on staff at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, as well as Clinical Instructor at the Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University. Her areas of expertise include STDs (with a particular clinical emphasis on herpes), women's health, preventive medicine, diabetes, obesity and weight management, and mood and anxiety disorders. Dr. Oldson was educated at Rush Medical College and completed her residency at Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center in Chicago, IL.

Related Q&A's

Do STDs cause urethritis? What is urethritis? How do you get it? How do you cure it?
What is PID and how is it treated?
How do you catch gonorrhea and how do you know if you have it? What are the treatments?