anonymous on September 12, 2011

I have a spinal chord injury and I’m slow to there a toy that could help?

I am an incomplete C5-6 quad. I’m 26, male and I’ve been injured for nine years. I have no problem getting or maintaining an erection (with little or no stimulation), but my ejaculations take too long. When I stimulate the base above the testes, I get quicker results, though…so I’m wondering if there’s a toy that stimulates just this area?

answered by Mitchell Tepper, PhD, MPH on September 12, 2011

I’m glad you asked this question because delayed or absent ejaculation is a common concern among men with spinal cord injury (SCI), other neurological disorders, and/or on some antidepressants.

First, I would encourage you to speak about your delayed ejaculation with a urologist who specializes in SCI. Why? Because other medical issue – besides your injury – could be contributing to the slow or delayed ejaculations you describe. For example, medications or other conditions like diabetes could be slowing your ejaculation. A doctor can help you narrow down the possible causes and recommend an appropriate remedy.

That said, another common cause of lost erections or delayed ejaculation in men with SCI isretrograde ejaculationthis occurs when semen enters the bladder during orgasm, instead of releasing through the penis.While retrograde ejaculation isn’t a danger to your health, I would suggest that you ask your urologist about it to find out if that’s the issue…and, if so, what can be done about it in your specific circumstances.

To answer your question, a toy may or may not help with slow or delayed ejaculation…but toys and other devices do exist and they may be worth a try (e.g., vibrators, sleeves, prostate stimulators, or cock rings with a vibrating bullet that can be positioned at the base of your penis above your testes or between your testes and your anus). A sleeve, in particular, has both ends open so you can position it to provide maximum stimulation exactly where you want it. You can purchase most of these options in online stores…however, FDA-approved devices like the Ferticare vibrator are sold only with a prescription.

If you have a sexual partner, you can also experiment with different positions that allow full contact and stimulation of the base of your penis.

Thanks again for writing, and I wish you good luck in achieving the most satisfying sexual experiences.

Related info:

Mitchell Tepper, PhD, MPH

Dr. Tepper directs sexual health education at An AASECT-certified sexuality educator and counselor, his areas of expertise include sexual dysfunctions, sexuality following disability or illness, pleasure and orgasm, relationships, and military and veteran couples' counseling. Dr. Tepper was educated at the University of Pennsylvania and Yale University.

Related Q&A's

What kind of medication can help a paraplegic have sex?
Are couples with one disabled partner more likely to get divorced?
After my injury, I’m afraid of incontinence during oral sex...any suggestions?