Anonymous on November 22, 2011

Do you know where to get HIV testing?

I want to get tested for HIV. Do you know where to get HIV testing?

answered by Lisa Oldson, MD on November 22, 2011

I’m glad you’re considering getting tested for HIV. It’s a smart way to help protect your health, and it’s also recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for people between the ages of 13-64.

Because HIV screening is so important, there are a number of places you can get an HIV test...

One convenient and confidential method is the HIV testing we offer. Both the HIV Early Detection test and the HIV Antibody test are available to choose from depending on your situation. We provide convenient and private HIV testing with test results typically ready in 3-5 business days. We’re ready to help you get tested, so you can call a Care Advisor with questions or read more about how HIV testing works.

Keep in mind that if you do happen to be positive for HIV, we’re here to help. One of our doctors will talk with you about next steps for your health and how to manage your infection. This consultation is included for any positive test result because we want to make sure you’re well taken care of, and that you understand your results.

If our service isn’t right for you, I hope you’ll look into other HIV testing sites...including your county health department, local STD clinic, your doctor’s office or nearby hospital. In most areas, these locations will also offer HIV testing. The important thing is to get tested.

Thanks for your question and good luck in your search for the right HIV testing site for you.

Related info:

Lisa Oldson, MD

Dr. Oldson is Medical Director of the Analyte Physicians Group. She is on staff at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, as well as Clinical Instructor at the Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University. Her areas of expertise include STDs (with a particular clinical emphasis on herpes), women's health, preventive medicine, diabetes, obesity and weight management, and mood and anxiety disorders. Dr. Oldson was educated at Rush Medical College and completed her residency at Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center in Chicago, IL.

Related Q&A's

How do I get tested for STDs?
What STD tests should we have before getting married?
How long after unprotected sex should I wait before getting an HIV test?